Skip to main content

2 down...1 to go

The picture to the left was taken this morning. It was Sunday morning and I had already decided that we were not going to make church. However, I streamed it live as I made breakfast- pancakes. I turned to see what Harper was watching on TV. "Harper why are you watching the Spanish channel?" I asked. "Because I want to learn Spanish." He answered matter-of-factually. I shrugged and continued what I was doing.

Shortly thereafter, Logan came strolling into the living room. "That's Jesus!" Harper told Logan. Up to that point I honestly didn't know what cartoon he was watching. I turned around for confirmation, and there He was, talking to a group of people on the television screen. "JESUS!" Logan repeated excitedly. It wasn't long before Dixon joined the group.

A few minutes later, I turned around again from cooking to check on them. Satan was on the screen. "That's the devil." I advised. "Is he still alive?" Harper asked. "Yes, he is. He lives in Hell." I nodded. "Wait- can we say that word?" He asked sincerely. "Yes," I advised again, "it's a place. You just can't say 'go to Hell' or 'what the Hell'. "I'm not going to Hell!" Harper proclaimed. "Right, you're not going to Hell because one day you're going to accept Jesus into your heart. I'm not going to make you do it. But if God tells you it's a good time, and you're ready, then you can accept Him into your heart. Your sister did it last year because she decided it was something she wanted to do."

He thought for less than a minute.

"I think I'm ready now."

Dixon rolled her eyes in disbelief. "Don't be like that! Harper is very smart. I think he understands."

I talked to him for a couple of minutes to make sure that he did understand and that it was a decision he wanted to make. I wanted him to know that it was his decision and nobody else's. We looked for my Bible Promise Book because I wanted to read him some scriptures- but we couldn't find it. "Mom, I think God is telling me that I should get you another Bible Promise Book." I couldn't help but to smile. My son has sincerely taken interest in God- he believes he hears from Him- and that is the best feeling in the world.

Since I couldn't find a  book, I pulled up the scripture on the computer. And we all came together- including Logan and repeated the prayer. "Dear God. I need you. I am humbly calling out to you. I'm tired of doing things my way. Help me to start doing things your way. I invite you into my life to be my Lord and Savior. Fill the emptiness in me with your Holy Spirit and make me whole. Lord, help me to trust you, help me to love you, help me to life for you, help me to understand Your Grace, your Mercy, and Your Peace. Thank You Lord. Amen."

I looked at Harper and congratulated him. "So now Jesus lives inside of you. He'll never leave. Even when you make mistakes-"

"-He still loves me." He finished.

This was honestly one of the best mornings of my life. Although I am a firm believer in attending church- an didn't today for personal reasons- my son accepting the Lord into His life right here at home is just an example of how good God is. And how much He loves us. He will find us where we are. I didn't pick that TV show for Harper this morning. As a matter of fact- he asked for help- and I told him to figure the TV out on his own. And of all things, he picked a show that led him to salvation. God is so good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Non Custodial Parent...

Being a parent can be overwhelming for anybody. Single parents, married parents, working parents, stay at home parents... it’s a big job. Being the parent that has primary custody is huge! Now I’m not going to lie, when I had my daughter it was a lot easier than I expected to be a mom. I’ve always had a good support from my family- even when the non custodial parent wasn’t supportive. Now that I have my third child, I’ve been able to see pattern across the board about how “the other parent” responds ( and doesn’t respond ) to coparenting. So I’ve devised a list of dos and donts for the non custodial parents to have a better shot at successful coparenting relationships. #1 Do not make her feel guilty for being overwhelmed. If your child’s mother (or father) mentions that she is stressed, isn’t getting sleep, and just expresses that he or she feels overwhelmed- try to be empathetic. You don’t say things like “you’ll be alright” or “you make it seem like the child is a burden”. I’m s

MOB: Mommies on a budget

Mommies! We have to budget. So I have decided that Mondays are for BUDGETING! Like seriously? Let's get excited about this. I know you already know this. I've known this for years and I'm ashamed to say it hasn't always been my forte. I mean, we have to spend so much doggone time doing everything else, who the heck has time to budget- and budget meticulously at that??? Well you have to make time, mama- because if you don't, you'll pay for it later. The best thing about a budget spreadsheet is you can make adjustments. You can see a visual of where and when those adjustments will effect you. I know it's hard to stick to a budget when raising kids- there are so many unpredictable expenses. However, if you write it all out, you can project where you may need to do something extra to make up for extra money spent. I remember 12 years ago, looking at my father's laptop and he had the most DETAILED spreadsheet I had ever seen in my life. Like ya'

TRANSITIONING: This is a lot longer than I thought it would be

Whew chile. It's been a while and honestly I wouldn't even blog half the stuff that's happened over this past year. Just know the title of this blog is TRANSITIONS. Since I last blogged I've lived three different places - including where we are now. Thankfully, all of those places were real homes. All I can say is GOD IS GOOD. It all started with me getting a phone call about free daycare. FREE. For my youngest two children. This wasn't CAPS, this was a grant from the daycare that Dixon USED to go to. My godmom had already told me about the grant months ago, but it wasn't available at the time. But here they were, bringing free childcare to me. You can't tell me that wasn't God. With that I was able to go back to work comfortably. Without having to figure out where my kids would go. And just like that we started getting back into our normal routine. Once I was back at work and my kids were on the grant for daycare, I went through a time of self re