Skip to main content

Made my bed and now I have to lay in it?

I am so mad right now. Livid. My youngest will be two this month and I still have not been able to maintain a structured visitation plan with her other parent. For the most part, I know he does better than most. But still. Still I'm exhausted. Still I'm frustrated. Still I feel like I don't get enough help. I think a majority of the frustration comes from knowing that the decisions he's making are based off of what he wants to do and not off of what he NEEDS to do. And for that, I am pissed.

What does he do? He's decided to drive trucks. He has a WHOLE Bachelor's degree more than I have. "What do you want me to do, sit behind a desk?" He said. "This is me." "YOU go out the window when you have a kid." I replied. But nope. He wants to drive trucks. And not for a company. For his self. That means he makes his own schedule.

When I first heard that's what he was doing, I was cool with it. But the more it goes on- the less approving I am. Why? Because for the past two years, I've had to hear numerous excuses as to why he couldn't do this or that. And I always end up with the short end of the stick. The pride in me said, "I don't care. I'll take care of my baby." The love in me said, "Don't trip. Be supportive." But then it builds and it builds and it builds. And then you're like... "Why am I doing this like this again?" You know, playing along to get along...

Knowing that you could say something, but that the person would end up doing what they want to do anyway. So why even fight. Me speaking my mind usually just ends in me being more frustrated.

During my recent trip in LA, I received a text message asking what time I'd be back. And I was immediately annoyed. It's like, "dang...just can't keep her and be cool until I get back huh?" That may not have been his sentiments but that's surely how I took it. That's how it always feels. Like "okay, I had her for a little while, come get her back now..." You know?

What do I want? I want a normal full 48 hour weekend period- at least every other weekend. Not having to pick her up from daycare on Friday. And having her home at 6 PM Sunday. Is that a lot to ask? What I hate is that if I tell people how often he sees her, I'll get a "that's more than a lot of people." So what? We accept mediocrity now because it's the norm?

So then it becomes, what is the real issue? She most definitely knows and loves her dad. He Facetimes her everyday. He is generally involved and interested in her life. He pays his child support. So he feels like he is doing all he needs to do to do right BY her. He is not concerned with the fact that I need a break. His exact words were, "If there's anytime to be selfish, it's now. She's only 2. It's not like she's 5."

What? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Is he right though? Me "needing a break" isn't his concern. I could always drive and hour and drop her off with his mom. If I need a break I should ask my mom or someone else to watch her right? Only I don't. I tried the driving an hour thing but frankly my car isn't in good enough shape, traffic is horrific, and gas is worse. My parents are not traditional grandparents- they still have kids in the house. And I don't know a lot of people to keep my kids. My Godmom has kept them a lot over the years and I don't want to keep asking her. But I need something I can depend on. Like a regular babysitter. Then there's costs. I can't afford that. So that brings me right back to- why isn't he doing it again???

There's 730 hours in a month. You can't dedicate 96 of them to your kid? You know, two untouchable days every two weeks where it's like, "nah...I can't do that because...this is my weekend with my kids." This is where I get myself in trouble because I have an idea of what it should be in MY head. And plus it's hard not to have an expectation when I've seen it done. I've dated men that were that devoted to the schedules of their children. So it's hard to accept that I can't receive that type of consistency.

I feel like if you're going to be inconsistent in every other area of your life. DO that. But those 48 hours every two weeks? Don't touch those.

So what do you do? I don't know. I really don't. I tried an ultimatum: "This is the time frame you can get her... if you don't- you miss your weekend." Then it's like I'm punishing myself because if he doesn't get her- now I don't get a break. So what DO you do? I don't know...

I remember someone telling me when I was pregnant with my youngest that they "hated that I was making my life harder." And I remember the father of my child telling me, "you're probably going to have to do it by yourself." I was so angry at those comments. But  my pride set out to prove them wrong. I didn't want to admit it was hard. And I didn't want to complain about doing it alone. But truth is, some days it is REALLY REALLY hard. And I am ultimately alone. I mean, yes I have God. But I am doing it alone. And some days I'm proud of that. And some days it makes me sad. Today is one of those days. Because I'm tired, but I don't get to be tired. Because no MATTER how I feel- I still have to do my job as a mom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My seven year old is a hater

Have a girl they said. It'll be fun they said. Don't get me wrong, my oldest child is my pride and joy. She's every mom's dream. A complete replica of me. Problem or nah? PROBLEM. Not only does she look like me. She acts like me. But I'm 29. And she's 27- I mean 7. If you follow me on Facebook  you are all too familiar with my Dixon's servings of opinion drenched in hot sauce. Especially when it comes to my physical appearance. I mean- given I have been a little on the adventurous side with my hair, and my right arm is covered in tattoos. I may not have the ideal mom image. But I'm not the type of mom that walks around with rollers in her head either. I mean I think I'm cute. Most of the time. I do have a 7 month old baby and a 3 year old though. And with that, some days you're lucky if I brushed my teeth! Just kidding, I brush my teeth every day. But I'm not going to act like there aren't days where I run out the door to drop my son off...

MOB: Mommies on a budget

Mommies! We have to budget. So I have decided that Mondays are for BUDGETING! Like seriously? Let's get excited about this. I know you already know this. I've known this for years and I'm ashamed to say it hasn't always been my forte. I mean, we have to spend so much doggone time doing everything else, who the heck has time to budget- and budget meticulously at that??? Well you have to make time, mama- because if you don't, you'll pay for it later. The best thing about a budget spreadsheet is you can make adjustments. You can see a visual of where and when those adjustments will effect you. I know it's hard to stick to a budget when raising kids- there are so many unpredictable expenses. However, if you write it all out, you can project where you may need to do something extra to make up for extra money spent. I remember 12 years ago, looking at my father's laptop and he had the most DETAILED spreadsheet I had ever seen in my life. Like ya...

It happened. She bit me.

I am a part of a breastfeeding group on Facebook and being the proactive person I am... I asked about this... before it happened. Logan is a very calm and quiet baby. So when she started turning into Tina Turnup these past two weeks, I knew something was going on. More like something growing in. Using my best mommy instincts, I did an oral exam- and sure enough... there they were. Two little white shadows in her swollen gums. Teef. Now Logan has already been gumming my nipples for the past 7 months. And it’s not documented anywhere but I think baby gums are made of vibranium. I’ve read commentary in our group about how you’re supposed to pull the baby closer to you when they do that. But I’m like bruh are you serious? It’s taking everything in me to control my reflexes and not throw this child across the room. Especially when she catches me off guard. I know that makes you supermons probably cringe. But you’re just going to have to judge me today. We are at the point now where the teet...