Skip to main content

MOB: Mommies on a budget


Mommies! We have to budget. So I have decided that Mondays are for BUDGETING!

Like seriously? Let's get excited about this.

I know you already know this. I've known this for years and I'm ashamed to say it hasn't always been my forte. I mean, we have to spend so much doggone time doing everything else, who the heck has time to budget- and budget meticulously at that???

Well you have to make time, mama- because if you don't, you'll pay for it later. The best thing about a budget spreadsheet is you can make adjustments. You can see a visual of where and when those adjustments will effect you. I know it's hard to stick to a budget when raising kids- there are so many unpredictable expenses. However, if you write it all out, you can project where you may need to do something extra to make up for extra money spent.

I remember 12 years ago, looking at my father's laptop and he had the most DETAILED spreadsheet I had ever seen in my life. Like ya'll, this man had his whole family's life planned to a T! I was so impressed. I've never forgotten that. I have always admired his dedication to planning and not spending frivolously. See the thing is, when you budget you can tell your money where to go- rather than wondering where it went.

The most beneficial thing about budgeting for me is that it helps to relieve my anxiety. Yes, I said it. It RELIEVES anxiety. How? Because instead of always feeling like you DON'T have enough or WON'T have enough, you can go to this pretty little spreadsheet and actually see exactly what you need. I remember a couple times in my life where someone may have asked me "how much do you need?" And I've always thought that this was the oddest question. I am ashamed to say, that but it's true. Like how the heck am I supposed to know? Anything helps right? Wrong. If you don't know how much you need, that means you really don't even know WHERE you are putting that money. And in the end, even though you receive some free money, you really aren't even sure if that is extra. You could be asking for $200 because it sounds good, when in fact you need $253. And we all know when it comes to kids, $53 makes a HUGE difference.

With that being said, I have created this little budget spreadsheet in Excel. It's been awesome. I've downloaded budget templates in the past, but none of them worked for me. So I literally used to budget weekly by writing down everything- whether it was in my phone or in a notebook. I had everything written that was coming in AND everything that was going out each week. This spreadsheet mimics that process. I literally look forward to opening it every day and balancing everything out. So, I thought to share it with you gals (and guys)! So here's the link to download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/48ras7mgrydazk0/Budget%20at%20a%20glance%20template.xlsx?dl=0

Now, I'm no finance guru, but having three kids has forced to become disciplined and plan ahead. The spreadsheet is pretty straight forward and it is already formulated to subtract and add income to expenses. Each week you can just adjust the dates and keep reusing it. Or, feel free to make it your own! Simplicity works better for me. I hope that this was informative to someone or at least inspired someone to crack down on their money spending habits.

Til next time!
Budgeting Bo


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Non Custodial Parent...

Being a parent can be overwhelming for anybody. Single parents, married parents, working parents, stay at home parents... it’s a big job. Being the parent that has primary custody is huge! Now I’m not going to lie, when I had my daughter it was a lot easier than I expected to be a mom. I’ve always had a good support from my family- even when the non custodial parent wasn’t supportive. Now that I have my third child, I’ve been able to see pattern across the board about how “the other parent” responds ( and doesn’t respond ) to coparenting. So I’ve devised a list of dos and donts for the non custodial parents to have a better shot at successful coparenting relationships. #1 Do not make her feel guilty for being overwhelmed. If your child’s mother (or father) mentions that she is stressed, isn’t getting sleep, and just expresses that he or she feels overwhelmed- try to be empathetic. You don’t say things like “you’ll be alright” or “you make it seem like the child is a burden”. I’m s

TRANSITIONING: This is a lot longer than I thought it would be

Whew chile. It's been a while and honestly I wouldn't even blog half the stuff that's happened over this past year. Just know the title of this blog is TRANSITIONS. Since I last blogged I've lived three different places - including where we are now. Thankfully, all of those places were real homes. All I can say is GOD IS GOOD. It all started with me getting a phone call about free daycare. FREE. For my youngest two children. This wasn't CAPS, this was a grant from the daycare that Dixon USED to go to. My godmom had already told me about the grant months ago, but it wasn't available at the time. But here they were, bringing free childcare to me. You can't tell me that wasn't God. With that I was able to go back to work comfortably. Without having to figure out where my kids would go. And just like that we started getting back into our normal routine. Once I was back at work and my kids were on the grant for daycare, I went through a time of self re